General Assignment Internship - Spring 2023
The Daily Dot is the web’s most comprehensive source for original internet news and among the fastest growing media companies in the world. We tell the story of the internet each day with uninhibited reporting on the people, apps, memes, and movements that are shaping the internet generation.
The Daily Dot general assignment interns are experienced writers who are able to report from both the front lines and the dark corners of the web. They have the ability to generate quick, sharp news stories with evocative ledes and the desire to delve deeper for more investigative, participatory features.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Find and pitch daily news stories and larger, analysis-driven features
- Write stories with speed and precision, adhering to AP Style and Daily Dot guidelines
- Develop a conversational but authoritative Daily Dot voice for news stories
- Adhere to journalistic standards for fact-checking, accuracy, and fairness
- Absorb feedback from editors to progressively improve writing and reporting skills
Interested? Here’s what we’re looking for:
- You have at least one semester of professional-level newsroom experience
- You meet deadlines
- You have experience finding sources and securing interviews
- You are skilled in multitasking and prioritizing in a rapidly changing environment
- You are comfortable in a small, intense, and fast-growing startup/entrepreneurial environment
- You understand and know the Daily Dot brand, internet culture, online communities, and current internet trends
- Experience working as part of a virtual team is a plus
Note that this internship is currently fully remote.
***Application must include cover letter, resume, and links to at least 3 published writing samples. Include your preferred beat or beats (ex: politics, conspiracy theories, identities, social justice, labor, technology, geek culture, internet memes) in your cover letter.***
This is a paid ($20 an hour), approximately 10-hour per week commitment for the duration of the spring. Applications for spring 2022 due by Nov. 30, 2022. This internship may also be used toward college credit, depending on your program (we're happy to help work with you to apply this credit to your program).
The Daily Dot recognizes the value of the broad and rich variety of experiences, ideas, and skills our team members bring to the business. Beyond compliance with government regulations, we foster diversity by encouraging an environment that taps the full potential of each employee consistent with the Daily Dot’s high standards of performance. We believe that there is an ongoing benefit to our families, employees, and community when the Daily Dot supports a diverse workforce.
We are committed to equal opportunity in all of our employment practices to all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital status, military status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity/transgender status, or veteran status.