Daily Dot Identity and Culture Intern - Spring 2024
The Daily Dot is the web’s most comprehensive source for original internet news and is among the fastest-growing media companies in the world. We tell the story of the internet each day with uninhibited reporting on the people, apps, memes, and movements that are shaping the world online and off.
The Daily Dot's identity and culture interns are experienced writers who are able to report from both the front lines and the dark corners of the web. They have the ability to generate quick, sharp news stories with evocative ledes and the desire to dive deeper for more investigative features.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Find and pitch daily news stories and larger, analysis-driven features
- Contribute to the Daily Dot's IRL ("In Real Life") culture and identity section
- Write stories with speed and precision, adhering to AP Style and Daily Dot guidelines
- Develop a conversational but authoritative Daily Dot voice for news stories
- Adhere to journalistic standards for fact-checking, accuracy, and fairness
- Absorb feedback from editors to progressively improve writing and reporting skills
Interested? Here’s what we’re looking for:
- You have at least one semester of newsroom experience for a professional or school publication
- You meet deadlines
- You have experience finding sources and securing interviews
- You are skilled in multitasking and prioritizing in a rapidly changing environment
- You are comfortable in a small, intense, and fast-growing startup/entrepreneurial environment
- You understand and know the Daily Dot brand, internet culture, and online trends
- Experience working as part of a virtual team is a plus
Note that this internship is currently fully remote.
***Application must include cover letter, resume, and links to at least 3 published writing samples. Your cover letter should reflect an interest in internet culture and identity reporting, including prior experience. Also include your preferred beat or beats (e.g., identities, social justice, labor, pop culture, memes).***
This is a paid ($20 per hour), approximately 10-hour per week commitment for the duration of the fall. Applications for spring 2023 are due by Dec. 13, 2023.
We're happy to work with you to apply this internship toward college credit, if applicable.
The Daily Dot recognizes the value of the broad and rich variety of experiences, ideas, and skills our team members bring to the business. Beyond compliance with government regulations, we foster diversity by encouraging an environment that taps the full potential of each employee consistent with the Daily Dot’s high standards of performance. We believe that there is an ongoing benefit to our families, employees, and community when the Daily Dot supports a diverse workforce.
We are committed to equal opportunity in all of our employment practices to all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital status, military status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity/transgender status, or veteran status.